Consecutively build words horizontally or vertically while trying to earn as many points as possible while also trying to use every letter in the game.
Game Play And Useful Tips
- Place letter tiles from the rack onto the board to form words building from previous words that have been played.
- When you are satisfied with your current play hit the “Play” button and the letters will be placed permanently on the board and the score from that play will be calculated and added to the game’s total score.
- Keep creating words by making consecutive plays until either you can not form any more legal words or you have used up all of the letters in the game (at which point you win!).
- Un-played letters can be easily recalled from the board and back to the rack using the “Recall” button.
- You can rearrange the letters in your rack by simply dragging and dropping the letters over other letters in the rack.
- The shuffle button randomizes the order of all the letter tiles currently in the rack.
Placement of Tiles
- The initial word must be placed on the board so that the center yellow square is covered.
- Every word following the first word must be placed on the board such that they contain at least one letter already played on the board.
- Each play can consist of letter tiles placed in a chain either horizontally or vertically in the same row or column.
- Letter tiles can be placed so that multiple words are formed simultaneously among adjacent letters already on the board.
- Letters cannot be placed if they do not form valid words among adjacent letters.
- The letter values (lower right corner of the letter tiles) are added up for the entire word(s) formed for each play.
- Single letter bonuses multiply the letter value played on them for the current turn only. The single letter bonuses include double letter (2L), triple letter (3L), and quadruple letter (4L).
- Word bonuses multiply the sum of all the letters in that word for the current turn only. The word bonuses include double word (2W) and triple word (3W).
- Word bonuses are applied after the letter bonuses are applied.
- Word bonuses can be combined. For example: if a word is formed that covers two 3W bonuses the total value for the word is multiplied by 9 (3x3=9).
- For plays that create multiple words each of the word scores are tallied separately (including all bonuses) and then added together for the final score.
- If 7 tiles are legally played on the board from the rack in a single play 49 bonus points are awarded for that play (7x7=49).
- If all of the tiles in the game are played on the board the player is awarded 250 bonus points.
Finishing a Game
- The game is won by playing all of the tiles successfully on the board.
- When the player still has letters left on the rack but can not form any more words on the board they can end the game (by pressing the “New Game” button) and if the total score is high enough may still rank in the High Scores list.
- Words Alone uses a modified version of the Enhanced North American Benchmark LExicon (ENABLE) dictionary that contains over 172,000 words. This dictionary is one of the most carefully researched lists and is also a non-proprietary dictionary that is used by many different word games.